PLEASE JOIN US TO MAKE POSITIVE CHANGE IN FLORIDA
FLORIDA’S PERMANENT ALIMONY LAWS:
- Are among the most draconian and out-of-date in the country.
- Allow for alimony to be paid for life. It’s called Permanent Alimony.
- Are so famously skewed against men, and its laws so generous with permanent alimony, that some women move to Florida just to get divorced, and then afterwards, return to their home state.
- Do not allow payers the ability to retire and have their payments lowered or ended without costly returns to court – even when the retirement is forced.
- Dictate that payers must give up significant percentages of their pensions and/or Social Security, even to an ex who has his/her own pension and Social Security.
- Allow second wives/husbands income to be used to upwardly modify the alimony payment of the first spouse.
- Have no formula. Judges have arbitrary and unbridled discretion in ordering an amount and a duration to pay.
OUR PRIMARY LEGISLATIVE GOALS
- SUPPORT self-sufficiency for the lower-earning spouse through alimony payments during a transition period, which can last more than a decade in long-term marriages.
- MAINTAIN appropriate judicial discretion in order to fairly judge unique circumstances where the lower-earning spouse is physically or mentally unable to work, and thereby continue alimony payments in these special cases, and only until no longer needed.
- PROTECT second spouses from current case law, which requires judges to fully investigate second-spouses’ income/assets and then force the alimony payer to pay an increased amount of alimony to a first spouse based on a new “family income” – or face jail.
- PROVIDE equal and consistent treatment, so that the outcome of an alimony case is not decided by the Russian Roulette selection of the family court judge.
- CURTAIL expensive legal battles over vague alimony laws and interpretations.
- END LIFELONG ALIMONY DEPENDENCY, ALLOWING BOTH PARTIES OF THE DIVORCE TO BE ABLE TO MOVE-ON AND LIVE INDEPENDENT LIVES
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- BECOME A MEMBER. Scroll to the top of this page and click. It’s that easy.
- ASK AT LEAST ONE FRIEND, RELATIVE OR CO-WORKER TO:
- to become a member on our website – it’s free
- to make a $10 (or more!) donation
- CONTACT YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE AND SENATOR
- CALL / WRITE / EMAIL them to express your support for alimony reform (Go to FIND YOUR LEGISLATOR at http://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find )
- ATTEND local events where your representative or senator is appearing. Introduce yourself and express your support for alimony reform.
- CONTRIBUTE WHAT YOU CAN ON A MONTHLY BASIS There are deep pockets working against us and we need the funds to fight back. If we each give regularly, we can meet our goal.
- VOLUNTEER ON ONE OF OUR COMMITTEES Simply send an email with VOLUNTEER in the subject line to info@FloridaAlimonyReform.com and one of our committee chairs will contact you.